Monday, November 15, 2010

The Wildest Michael Steele Quotes of All Time

Now that RNC Chairman Michael Steele is fighting for a second term, we are taking this opportunity to review his many contributions to American political dialogue. For the enlightenment of our readers, we present the wildest Michael Steele quotes of all time.

Number 20
Steele tells Sean Hannity that the GOP will not win the House. Hannity: “Do you think you can take over the House? Do you think Republicans...” Steele: “Not this year. And Sean, I would say honestly.” (January 2010)

Number 19
Steele defends the Republican platform: “Our platform is one of the best political documents that’s been written in the last 25 years. Honest Injun on that.” (January 2010)

Number 18
Steele calls Sarah Palin’s talk of death panels in the health care bill “perfectly appropriate.” (August 2009)

Number 17
Steele addresses criticism of technical problems with the newly relaunched GOP website: “It’s not even really a website.” (October 2009)

Number 16
Steele chants, “Drill, baby, drill! And drill now!” at the Republican convention in September 2008. Steele stops using the phrase after the 2010 BP oil spill.

Number 15
Steele says the stimulus package “is just a wish list from a lot of people who have been on the sidelines for years... to get a little bling, bling.” (February 2009)

Number 14
Steele on being in a room with white Republicans: “I mean I’ve been in the room and they’ve been scared of me. I’m like, ‘I’m on your side…’” (November 2009)

Number 13
Steele responds to a comment by a Fox News anchor on President Obama’s “health care train having left the station:” “Well, I’m the cow on the tracks.” (October 2009)

Number 12
Steele asks Florida Republicans to send Delegates who “look like Florida” to the next GOP convention: “Could you help a brother out? No more national conventions with 36 people of color in the room.” (April 2009)

Number 11
Steele gets fed up with his critics inside the GOP: “I tell them to get a life. That’s old Washington, that’s old ways, and I don’t represent that, and that kills them… I’m telling them and I’m looking them in the eye and say I’ve had enough of it. If you don’t want me in the job, fire me. But until then, shut up. Get with the program or get out of the way.” (January 2010)

Number 10
Steele on why he opposes “empathetic” judges: “Crazy nonsense empathetic. I’ll give you empathy. Empathize right on your behind. Craziness.” (May 2009)

Number 9
Steele is asked why African Americans should vote for Republicans and responds, “You really don’t have a reason, to be honest… We haven’t done a very good job of giving you one.” (April 2010)

Number 8
Steele agrees with a radio caller that President Obama is “the magic Negro.” (May 2009) Here is the transcript:

CALLER: It’s just like the LA Time said last year or two years ago: He is the magic Negro.

STEELE: Yeah he — [laughing]. You read that too, huh? [still laughing]

CALLER: Oh yeah. I read that too. Even when things go wrong, he still manages to come out smelling like a rose.

STEELE: Well, yeah.
Number 7
Steele on how gay marriage creates greater health care costs for small business: “Now all of a sudden I’ve got someone who wasn’t a spouse before, that I had no responsibility for, who is now getting claimed as a spouse that I now have financial responsibility for. So how do I pay for that? Who pays for that? You just cost me money.” (May 2009)

Number 6
Steele on Rush Limbaugh: “Rush Limbaugh is an entertainer. Rush Limbaugh, his whole thing is entertainment. Yes it’s incendiary, yes it’s ugly.” (February 2009) Two days later, Steele takes it back: “I wasn’t trying to slam him or anything.” (March 2009)

Number 5
Steele on the liberal media: “We can’t coast into the majority, nor can we assume it’s a sure thing. The liberal media are looking for any possible alternative narrative to tell. They are looking for those distractions, and Lord knows I’ve provided a few.” (April 2010)

Number 4
Steele sends “slum love out to my buddy,” Louisiana Governor Bobby Jindal. (February 2009)

Number 3
Steele promises to reach out to African American voters by telling them, “I got the fried chicken and potato salad.” (July 2009)

Number 2
Steele says the war in Afghanistan is a “war of Obama’s choosing… This is not something the United States had actively prosecuted or wanted to engage in.” (July 2010)

And the single wildest Michael Steele quote of all time…
Steele is told by liberal columnist David Corn, “Well, I have to say, thank you. You’ve been good for business.” Steele responds, “I’m the gift that keeps on giving.” (May 2009)