Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Central Committee Candidate Gabriel Albornoz

Gabe Albornoz is a member of the Montgomery County Democratic Central Committee from District 18.

I am asking the Democratic voters to return me to the Montgomery County Democratic Central Committee (MCDCC) because I have been an effective member and will be even more effective in the future. While serving on the MCDCC this year, I have served on a number of committees including the gala auction, 2010 Census, and co-chaired the Serving Our Communities Committee (SOCC). The SOCC has developed meaningful volunteer opportunities at important local non-profit organizations to further demonstrate the Party’s commitment to improving our communities. Activities this year included preparing and serving food at a homeless shelter and clearing away trash and debris at Sligo Park.

My background includes strong ties to Montgomery County, having grown up in the County and lived here my entire life. I have lived in Gaithersburg, Silver Spring, Bethesda and now Kensington. I am very familiar with the rich tradition of the Democratic Party in the County, as well as the growing diversity in our communities. Our school system, for example, is now majority minority, and this trend clearly indicates a shift in demographics, which is especially true in District 18.

As these changes indicate, it is an important time for the Democratic Party in Montgomery County and in Maryland. I feel uniquely equipped to take advantage of this opportunity. My Latino heritage and ability to speak Spanish fluently are strengths that I bring to the MCDCC. My professional background in grassroots community organizing and advocacy at the Children’s National Medical Center and the Latin American Youth Center have also helped prepare me for this position. I believe these experiences will prove valuable as the Party looks to increase voter participation from the northern areas of District 18, as well as in traditionally strong Democratic strongholds in other parts of District 18. If given the opportunity to serve again, I will work hard to continue to support the MCDCC in any way I can.