Wednesday, September 08, 2010

George Leventhal on Illegal Signs

At-Large County Council Member George Leventhal, who is running for reelection, sent us the following statement concerning illegal campaign signs.

Dear Adam,

Earlier this year, my campaign made the judgment that we would not place signs illegally in the public right-of-way or on property where we did not have permission. There have been a few occasions, such as along parade routes, where we temporarily placed signs but then removed them, and on at least one occasion, a volunteer placed our signs in the public right-of-way and again, we removed them.

I'm writing to let you know that, even though I have had volunteers ask me if they can put up my signs in the public right-of-way, my campaign policy remains not to do so. My impression is that signs in the public right-of-way create visual clutter and impose a burden on the taxpayer in these difficult budget times, because they must be removed by the State Highway Administration or county Department of Permitting Services. I understand that this policy may place me at some disadvantage in the closing days of the campaign when many other candidates for County Council, At-Large and other offices are placing illegal and unauthorized signs, but I believe my decision was the right one.

I would be delighted if you would place this statement on the Maryland Politics Watch blog.

Best,
George Leventhal
Montgomery County Councilmember, At-Large