Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Saqib Ali's Concession Statement

Following is District 39 Senate challenger Saqib Ali's concession statement.

We came up just short... My thanks to you.

Dear Friend,

In April of this year I announced that I would vacate my seat in the House of Delegates to run for the State Senate. On Tuesday we had that Democratic primary election. And even though we ran a great grassroots campaign, our efforts came up just short. Senator Nancy King prevailed 51.63% - 48.37%. The difference was 223 votes (before absentee ballots are counted). My sincerest congratulations to Senator King on her victory. I will support her as she moves on to face a Republican challenger in November's general election.

I owe a huge debt of thanks to thousands of people who supported this campaign by voting, volunteering, donating and assisting in numerous other ways. Together we built an impressive grassroots force. We ran a substantial, issues-oriented campaign. This was a very hard-fought election. But all of us can hold our heads very high for putting forth the honorable and very valiant effort. I'm proud to have worked side-by-side with all these wonderful, idealistic and optimistic people. I can never say "Thank You" enough.

Right now I'm not sure what the future holds for me. I will take some time to pay attention to my (much neglected!) family and personal life. It has been the highest privilege to represent the residents of Maryland for the past 4 years and I look forward to serving out my current term as State Delegate until January. I do wish to stay in touch with all the friends I've met and made along the way.

Sincerely,
Saqib Ali