Friday, September 17, 2010

George Leventhal: Thank You

Council Member George Leventhal, who has won the Democratic primary for a third term, has sent the following email to his supporters. Leventhal is a canny political observer, having chaired the party's central committee for five years prior to his first election, and we agree with his remarks on the county's low turnout.

Dear [Voter],

Thank you so much for your support! I am honored to have won the Democratic Party's nomination for the third time to serve as an At-Large member of the Montgomery County Council. I will never forget the hundreds of friends who took the time to help my campaign, give me encouragement and make contributions. Working together, we won! We should all be proud of what we accomplished.

My congratulations to incumbents Marc Elrich and Nancy Floreen and newcomer Hans Riemer, who were also nominated in the Primary Election. The four of us will be running together as a Democratic slate. If you would like to keep your "Re-Elect Leventhal" signs up in your yards until the November 2 General Election, please feel free to do so.

We do have Republican opposition in the General Election but historically, the Democratic nominees for Montgomery County Council, At-Large have not encountered difficulty winning in November. I encourage you to join me now in turning our focus to the re-election of Governor Martin O'Malley, who shares our priorities of job creation, education and a healthy environment.

The most recent estimate shows that only 19.44% of eligible voters participated in the September 14 Primary Election in Montgomery County. If Montgomery County turnout remains low in the November 2 General Election, Governor O'Malley will have difficulty getting re-elected. I do not want to see Maryland go backwards. I would be very interested in your thoughts on how we can increase voter turnout in the fall.

Thank you again for all the support you have shown me. I look forward to serving you for another four years on the County Council. Please let me know if there is any way I can be of assistance to you.

Gratefully,
George Leventhal
Montgomery County Councilmember, At-Large