Monday, March 02, 2009

Steele Apologizes

One has a feeling this could become a regular headline. Talking Points Memo reports that today's apology from RNC Chairman Michael Steele was directed to Rush Limbaugh:

In an interview with the Politico, Steele said: "My intent was not to go after Rush - I have enormous respect for Rush Limbaugh. I was maybe a little bit inarticulate...There was no attempt on my part to diminish his voice or his leadership."

This comes after Limbaugh tore into Steele for declaring on CNN that Rush isn't a leader of the Republican Party, but is an "entertainer" whose rhetoric is "incendiary" and "ugly."

"I went back at that tape and I realized words that I said weren't what I was thinking," said Steele. "It was one of those things where I thinking I was saying one thing, and it came out differently."

I think my favorite part of the public spat was when Steele called himself the "de facto" leader of the Republican party.