Saturday, September 23, 2006

L'Shana Tova (Happy New Year)

I've been invited to go doorknocking for the Democratic Coordinated Campaign on Rosh Hashanah. I'm not offended by the invitation (I'm Jewish but then so is the Chair of the Maryland Democratic Party) but I'm appalled at the lack of political acumen. I felt bad enough when I inadvertantly knocked on the doors of a few observant Jewish voters on Shabbat during the primary campaign.

Is the plan to avoid knocking on the doors of suspected Jewish households? Doesn't Israel (and Virginia Sen. George Allen) already have enough problems with the "Who is a Jew?" question that we don't need to import it into Montgomery County? I bet it is even harder here due to mixed marriages. I've known Jewish families with names like McCoy and Church. Not all Jewish homes have a mezuzah on the door.

What is the Democratic Party thinking on this one?