Friday, September 25, 2009

State Teachers Lobbyist Comments on George Owings

In response to our post on former Delegate and current Governor hopeful George Owings' Facebook supporters, state teachers lobbyist Diana Saquella sent us the following remarks. Ms. Saquella is listed on Owings' Facebook page as a supporter.

Maryland Politics Watch’s classification of me as a Facebook friend and supporter of George Owings gives the misimpression that I have endorsed his candidacy for governor. As chief lobbyist for and a professional representative of the Maryland State Education Association (MSEA), it is my obligation to remain publicly neutral in any political race until my organization indicates who they endorse. I also have an obligation to continuously gather information on all candidates for all state offices, which is why I became one of Mr. Owings’ Facebook friends, not because I was declaring support for his candidacy.