Friday, November 30, 2007

Van Hollen Statement on Death of Jane Lawton

Washington, D.C. –Congressman Chris Van Hollen (D-MD) today released the following statement on the death of Jane Lawton:

Jane Lawton’s sudden death today is a devastating loss for our community. She dedicated her life to changing our community and our state for the better. Jane was a dear friend and I am fortunate to have had the opportunity to have worked closely with her on issues that are important to our county and our state. I will always be grateful to Jane for her energetic support of my campaign for Congress.

She was respected in Maryland’s General Assembly for her leadership and public service. She dedicated her career to improving the environment, protecting the Chesapeake Bay and fighting for affordable housing. As we mourn her loss, we should recommit ourselves to carrying on the causes she championed. I extend my deepest sympathies to Jane’s family. I hope that they can find solace in knowing that our entire community is grieving the loss at this sad time.