Thursday, November 29, 2007

Delegate Jane Lawton Passes Away


My only words after seeing this message on WaPo blog and confirmed on MoGa is WOW. I can't believe it. I supported her campaign in 2006, as part of the District 18 slate. But I remember her run for the same seat in 2002, I was handing out literature for Chris Van Hollen's Congressional run at the Wheaton Metro and she was doing the same for her race.

What a gracious and wonderful woman. Jane Lawton had lived here for many years but she never lost that Oklahoma twang in her voice. Her smile went from ear to ear. I never heard her utter a mean word about anyone. I admired her for willingness to learn from others. That is a rare trait among elected officials.

In the regular 2007 session, she played a vital role in the Storm Water Runoff legislation that was part of her committee. (Here a list of things she did in her first session as a Delegate, 2006). I wish I could speak to the 2007 legislation better but I do know that it was boring legislation but very vital to the health of the Bay and to the environment. Her work there was critical and she did not grandstand on her accomplishment. But I heard many other Delegates laud her role. That is a sure sign of respect from her colleagues.

I will add more ... after I catch my breath. But what a terrible loss. My condolences go out to her family.