Monday, July 06, 2009

Jim Smith is Not Running for Comptroller (Updated)

Courtesy of WBAL, following is a statement by Baltimore County Executive Jim Smith announcing his decision not to run for Comptroller. That's an interesting decision given his recent appearance at a Committee for Montgomery meeting and this fundraising speech strongly hinting at a run. So what is going to happen to his nearly million-dollar war chest? Will Smith's Chief of Staff, gubernatorial brother Peter O'Malley, have a say?

Update: Jim Smith probably won't be running for Senate because he lives in District 11, currently represented by Democrat Bobby Zirkin. We would not be surprised if Smith wound up in Governor O'Malley's cabinet. There are currently openings in Transportation and Labor.

Update 2: The Baltimore Sun is now speculating on the fate of Smith's war chest.

#####

After much deliberation, I have decided not to run for Comptroller in the 2010 election. Although this has not been an easy decision, I am confident that I am making the right choice. Having spent many months thinking about the duties of Comptroller in the State of Maryland, I have concluded that it is not a position to which I aspire. I have never pursued any elected office because it was expedient. I always sought the opportunity to serve because I thought I could make a real difference-as a councilman, a judge, and currently as County Executive. I did not feel that passion when considering a run for Comptroller.

To those of you who have supported me as County Executive, and encouraged me to consider a statewide run in 2010, I thank you from the bottom of my heart. Your enthusiasm is amazing, and I am truly grateful for your counsel and support. Rest assured that I remain committed to public service, and I look forward to finding new ways to serve in the future.

Working together with the people of Baltimore County, we've created a renaissance that is visible from one end of the County to the other. I am excited about what we've accomplished, and I am energized by the work we have left to do. There are eighteen months left in my term as County Executive, and I am focused on completing what we started.