Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Photos from the Equality Ball

I went to my first Inaugural Ball at the Mayflower Hotel. Jeffrey Slavin, the Mayor of Somerset, was the only local political luminary I ran into at the party. Like a true tourist, I brought my camera and here are the pictures.



Thelma Houston still has got it at 65. She choked up when she talked briefly about how she never thought she'd live to see the day when our country had an African-American President.


The crowd came for an Inaugural Ball and stuck around for a Cyndi Lauper concert. Remember when "Girls Just Want to Have Fun" was considered racy? Cyndi may think she belongs on the "Island of Misfit Toys" but the crowd just seemed glad she was there.


Sir Ian McKellen


One man spent much of the night waving his American flag in front of the stage. Because it's our country too.