Thursday, January 15, 2009

Major Fire in Chevy Chase

A house went up in flames on Oakridge Ave. around the corner from my home sometime around midnight. When I first looked, the entire home was on fire with flames shooting up to the sky. Thank G-d the house was under construction so no one lives there. At one point, there was a major explosion heard as far away as Lynn Dr. and Ridgewood Ave. At this time, it appears to be under control though there are still flames visible in the now completely destroyed structure. More, including bad photos, below the fold.

Update: The 7200 block of Oakridge is currently closed while the Fire Marshall investigates.

I called the Fire Department around the time of the explosion--maybe one minute after I first saw the flames--and they said they were already on the scene. The response by the Fire Department appears incredible and very aggressive from my layman's perspective. There are many, many firemen, trucks and ambulances as well as police here. The Department has concentrated water from many hoses, including one connected to a hydrant in front of my home. Fire trucks have come from as far away as Wheaton, Walter Reed, and Kensington. Thank you.

No photos of the fire itself as I was calling neighbors and didn't think of getting my camera until I saw a neighbor with his. By the time I got mine, the fire was fortunately not very photogenic in the dark though lots of smoke was still coming out and the firemen will still spraying several hoses on the remaining flames.

Fire Truck Ladder on Oakridge Ave.


Fire Truck on Maple Ave. at Thornapple St.


Fire Truck and Ambulance in front of my home