Monday, January 19, 2009

Good Vibrations from the Pre-Inaugural

I dipped my toe into the big Obamarama which began this weekend. Here are some random impressions:

Oddly in the middle of an economic crisis, everyone downtown seems optimistic about the future. Everyone apologizes even when you accidentally bump into them. Even most of the t-shirts and buttons are happy sporting messages like "Hope", "I Was There", and "One Love" (Is Bob Marley getting royalties?) with relatively few taking weak jabs at the Republicans like "I Love My Parents Even Though They're Republicans." I even saw a small pile of McCain magnets on sale. Yes, really.

My out-of-town visitors from Chicago didn't bite when I tried to introduce the new $1000 rates for use of the attic guest room. However, they did take us to the 9:30 Club to see Adele. She hails from England and mentioned that she was "really chuffed" about Obama's election to cheers. The crowd just laughed with amusement when she said "Yay England!" in response to someone in the crowd from London hurriedly followed by an "And America!" as an afterthought.

Washingtonians generally aren't as conversation-phobic on the Metro as Londoners are on the Underground. Nonetheless, it is striking that the spirit of good fellowship has gone so far that people who aren't drunk or students even talk to each other on the Metro. OK, it's mainly tourists swapping stories and looking eerily happy about the long ride back to Shady Grove. Even so, isn't it one of the harbingers of the Apocolypse?

A crowd dwarfing the size of the main event at most Inaugurations enjoyed the big concert (Obamapalooza?) on the Mall in front of the Lincoln Memorial. Obama and his family enjoyed it all--I loved watching Malia excitedly take pictures of the stars. The President-Elect seemed mildly annoyed for only one moment when one guest from way out of town insisted on injecting politics into it. (Earth to Bono: I think the Israeli-Palestinian conflict was already on his radar.) I could've done without most of the Oscar-like stilted speeches--except when Jamie Foxx demanded that they scroll back the teleprompter--but I guess they had to do something between acts. My favorite was the high school choir which was clearly having a blast just being there.

The film scenes from previous Inaugurals and of Marian Anderson were inspiring. And "Ask not what your country can do for you" seems newly relevant in light of the President-Elect's call for public service. (Now, if he'd just stop sending those emails asking for more money.) Apparently, the General Assembly dispensed with the usual MLK Day activities so everyone could participate in the celebration and volunteer activities promoted by Barack Obama.

Oh, and if you see any of our state legislators on the Mall, they're playing hooky. The General Assembly will be in session tomorrow as required by the Maryland Constitution. I can't say I'd blame them if they strayed from Annapolis, however, I suppose extra kudos are also due to those keep the lights on at the State Capitol so there is a quorum and others can be in DC on the big day.