Wednesday, January 07, 2009

The Good Sport Awards, 2008

Over the last year, we have poked and prodded our fair share of politicians. And we have encountered a variety of reactions. It is not easy for politicians to see their names on the Internet in sometimes unflattering terms, though that is part of the price they pay for the privilege of power. But the way politicians react to teasing and (sometimes) constructive criticism provides valuable insight into their character. Today, we pay homage to the good sports: those who have reacted with humor and class to an occasional poke from this blog.

Delegate Saqib Ali (D-39)

Any discussion of good sports must start with Delegate Ali, the undisputed King of Facebook. When we posted his hilarious (and borderline unhinged) Facebook Wall declarations, we did not know what to expect. A lesser politician would have reacted with anger or defensiveness. But Delegate Ali turned the tables on us, directing his Facebook legions to swarm this blog and even teasing us in return.

A few weeks ago, another politician was complaining about my coverage of him when Delegate Ali walked by. I told this individual, “Don’t get worked up over what I said about you. Look at what I said about Saqib!” And Delegate Ali chirped in, “Hey, Adam made my Facebook page famous!” And deservedly so, Delegate. Thanks for the good cheer.

Delegate Al Carr (D-18)

Delegate Carr must feel I have it in for him. After all, I zapped him twice in two days: once over the Purple Line and again over the CARR bill. This prompted a friend of mine to ask, “Are you trying to get rid of him?”

Nothing is further from the truth. Al Carr is a decent person who handles disagreements, including the two above, with class and civility. He has not had one cross word for me about his treatment on this blog. Al’s graciousness is a quality I wish more politicians had. (Disclosure: it may not be obvious from my recent comments on the CARR bill, but I am the Treasurer of the District 18 Democratic Team and have contributed to Delegate Carr’s campaign fund.)

David Lublin, Town of Chevy Chase Council Member

Once upon a time, David Lublin generously invited me to join this blog. So what did I do? I promptly spoofed him, mocking his appearance at a fictional press conference about the dreaded blogger tax and assigning him a mythical hairless Chihuahua named Muffitt. Worst of all, David was about to run for Town Council at the time and was directing voters to the blog! But David tolerated my misbehavior and allowed me to continue my diatribes before the rest of you. I suspect he is grateful that I am not one of his constituents.

County Council Member Marc Elrich

Council Member Elrich has taken his lumps here. On one post, I speculated whether the police would catch him skinny-dipping in Sligo Creek. On another, I put him on my “Bad List” because “Marc is not happy unless someone is mad at him, so here he is. I’ll come up with a reason for his inclusion later.” And I even spread a satirical rumor that Federal Realty was raising money for him, an obvious fallacy given that Marc does not accept developer contributions. Nevertheless, Marc gave me an exclusive on his BRT plan, a big story that was followed up by the Post and the Gazette. As a former teacher, Marc should know not to set a dangerous precedent for someone like me: the more I act out, the more stories I get!

Marc Korman and Alan Banov, MCDCC Members

In the good old days, this blog was a hotbed of anti-MCDCC propaganda, including possibly the most infamous post in our history: our District 18 appointment satire Long Ago and Far Away. MCDCC Members Marc Korman and Alan Banov would have been well within their rights to never visit this blog again! But Korman has become a reliable once-a-week contributor and Banov gave us the scoop on the illegal District 4 robocalls. Of course, I wonder if they’re just setting me up to feel guilty prior to my writing any more anti-MCDCC rants!

And the grand prize winner is...

Senate President Mike Miller

Whether it was our rollicking interview, our criticizing him for pressuring teachers on slots, our christening him as “Big Daddy” or our demented fable about his encounter with Uncle Ike, no one has been tormented by this blog more than Mike Miller. Now we have heard from multiple sources that the Senate President knows almost everything that is said about him. But that did not stop him from having his picture taken with your author.


If Mike Miller is truly aware of our blog’s coverage of him, then this picture is proof that he is the ultimate good sport!

So to those of our readers who are politicians, we know you are going to get mad at us in 2009. We know you will pull out your hair and say, “How could he write that?!” We know you will find our home address and strongly consider calling your Uncle Bruno in New York to take care of us. But bear in mind that if you can laugh it off, in a year’s time you too will be recognized for your class, your good humor and your indulgence of trouble-making bloggers!