Wednesday, May 07, 2008

The Mayor of Chevy Chase

Mier Wolf will not be returning to the Chevy Chase Town Council after an twelve terms of service to the Town. Mier and his wife, Cathy, always encouraged me and made me feel like a friend even when we were both running for the Council. I've always appreciated how his calm demeanor could deftly turn down the temperature in the most heated debates. His experience, knowledge, and warmth will be sorely missed on the Council.

Mier has had many, many accomplishments on the Council--too many to detail here--including serving as mayor of Chevy Chase for nine years. I know Mier is particularly proud of tenacious effort to protect the Capital Crescent Trail on the north side of Town. The Town Hall was constructed while he served on the Council. Although his children have graduated (and he just became a proud grandfather for the first time), Mier is still an active and engaged supporter of Rosemary Hills, Chevy Chase Elementary, and B-CC High School.

A class act and a role model even after a very tough election night when around twenty votes kept him from reelection, I received an extremely gracious call from Mier and Cathy this morning. Both congratulated me on my election to the Council, expressed their confidence in me, and wished me nothing but the best.

I hope the Town will continue to benefit from Mier's experience and knowledge in the years ahead. Even more, I hope the Council forges ahead in the same spirit of neighborliness, even temper, and love of the Town that characterized Mier's long service. I'm glad that Mier will remain active in the County.

And I'm sure the residents of the Town of Chevy Chase will continue to refer to him affectionately as "the Mayor of Chevy Chase" just as they have since he relinquished that title in 2004.