Monday, December 08, 2008

Saqib-Mania Continues on the Kojo Nnamdi Show

The unstoppable cultural phenomenon goes on, this time on the Kojo Nnamdi show!

Last Friday, Delegate Saqib Ali appeared on Kojo Nnamdi's Politics Hour. His interview, starting at the 4:45 mark, mostly covered speed cameras (yawn). But at 17:30, Kojo got to the point with this exchange:

Kojo Nnamdi: Saqib Ali, you hold a number of distinctions. My favorite one is your reputation as the best Facebook Delegate in Annapolis so we took the opportunity to go to your Facebook page. Here are a few of the gems that can be found there.

“Saqib has trained his two-year-old to do his menial chores. Parenthood is totally worth it!”

Saqib, Saqib, Saqib…

Saqib Ali: Well, you know, um… I consider myself a critic of popular culture and I like to make fun of myself and I think my constituents enjoy ribbing me a little bit too, so it’s all in good fun.

Tom Sherwood: How do we tell when you’re serious?

Saqib Ali: Well, if you want to know what I seriously think, Facebook is not the place to go. Go to my blog or go to my website or come talk to me.

Kojo Nnamdi: So you have not started an underground fight club in the Maryland General Assembly as your Facebook page says?

Saqib Ali: No, I haven’t. In fact, we have some other members of the Assembly who are actually trained martial artists and I’m sure they’d make short work of me.
We are of course delighted that Delegate Ali's Facebook adventures are gaining wide attention. But why did the Delegate not remind Kojo's listeners of who it was that launched his career into online fame? These big stars always forget where they came from!