Monday, April 28, 2008

Doing as Well as Teaching

Blogging on my part has been light lately because I've decided to throw my hat into the ring for the Chevy Chase Town Council. It's quite a competitive race with all three incumbents running for reelection and two other newcomers also in the race. Here is the letter I sent to Town residents:

Dear Neighbors:

I am a candidate for the Town Council and wanted to introduce myself to you. Growing up in Montgomery County, I was very pleased to move back to the area in 1998, when I joined the faculty at American University where I am currently a professor of Government in the School of Public Affairs. In 2005, my partner, Eric (who also grew up in the area), and I purchased a home on Thornapple Street.

Since returning to the area, I have been very involved in community affairs: I have worked hard on campaigns for Rich Madaleno and our friend Jane Lawton, and have maintained a blog on Maryland political issues. I have volunteered many hours to the Town’s Long-Range Planning Committee tracking Bethesda development projects, meeting with developers, preparing testimony, and working to build local coalitions; and I have been an active member of the Greater Bethesda-Chevy Chase Coalition fighting to protect the Capital Crescent Trail. I consider public service an honor and a serious responsibility.

Why am I running for Town Council?

To protect the Town borders from intrusive Bethesda development. As the point person on Bethesda development for the Long-Range Planning Committee, I have been amazed by the pace and scale of projects having an impact on the Town—Lots 31/31a, Woodmont East, and now Pier One. Our community needs to be vigilant in putting pressure on developers and the Planning Board to stay true to the Bethesda Sector Plan and to respect the needs of our suburban neighborhood abutting this growing urban area. I am not afraid to confront those issues which pose a threat to our community.

To protect the Capital Crescent Trail. Currently, I am on the executive board of the Greater Bethesda-Chevy Chase Coalition and have been following issues of concern to the Capital Crescent Trail for years. Earlier this year, I was involved in the successful efforts to keep open the tunnel between Elm Street Park and Bethesda during the construction of the Woodmont East project. While I may be a relatively new face in Town, I am a familiar voice in the County in championing the protection of this unique resource.

To protect the special character of the Town. Tall trees, winding streets, and pocket parks are all part of what make our neighborhood so wonderful. I support the tree ordinance which was enacted several years ago as well as the simplified land-use ordinance currently before the Council.

To improve playgrounds within the Town. Both the Leland Community Center playground and the Chevy Chase Elementary School playgrounds should be renovated and made accessible for all to enjoy. On the Council, I would push County and school officials to provide the necessary funds to make these improvements happen.

To maintain the high quality of Town services without increasing property taxes. I feel lucky to live in a Town with such excellent services. I will work to maintain, and when needed to improve, these services.

To those of you who attend Town Council meetings on a regular basis, my face should be familiar as a regular attendee. To those that don’t know me, I hope to knock on your door soon so that I can have the pleasure of meeting you.

I would be honored to receive your vote and to serve as your representative on the Town Council. I’d be happy to meet and to talk with you at any time.

Most sincerely,

David Lublin