Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Statement from MCRCC Member Daniel Vovak on his Illness

Our thoughts are with Daniel and his family.

Dear friends, Republicans, and Marylanders:

For the last two weeks, I have had the rare privilege to be overwhelmingly loved by family and friends and to receive perfect care from the staff at Johns Hopkins/Suburban Hospital in Bethesda, Maryland. Shortly before Thanksgiving and through the weekend of the Maryland Republican Convention earlier this month, I experienced increased abdominal pain. I have since learned that I have an aggressive, but yet-to-be-specifically-diagnosed, Stage IV cancer.

Thankfully, my family and Alison have remained at my side, even as my dog, Newton, anxiously awaits my return. I anticipate not returning home for at least a month, though still before the 450 daffodils I planted (just three weeks ago) bloom in the spring. In the meanwhile, I ask that you pray for me and be more open with your loved ones, since I have learned there is no advantage to delaying kind words.

At this time (to preserve my strength), I request no phone calls, flowers, or visitors. Correspondence should be directed to Daniel Vovak through email at DanielVovak@gmail.com or to Daniel Vovak, Suburban Hospital. 8600 Old Georgetown Road. Room 3104. Bethesda, Maryland 20814. I will respond to correspondence when I am able, or as there are developments. May God bless us all!