Friday, March 11, 2011

Live from the General Assembly

I'm sitting in the gallery in the House of Delegates waiting for the session to start. The bells for the Senate have been ringing for over five minutes. Not a single delegate is in the House. I think that the Democratic Caucus has yet to meet today. I'm sitting with Chuck Butler and Rosemary Nicolosi from the Equality Maryland Board. In the row behind me is Barrie Carr--De. Al Carr's wife and a wonderful friend who I am glad is here today.

Update at 11:22: the delegates are entering the chamber. Reports say that the Judiciary Committee has voted down a last minute attempt to amend the marriage equality bill.

Update at 11:25 Del. Joseline Pena-Melnyk just led the House in prayer. She said the serenity prayer. Session is now beginnning.