Saturday, February 26, 2011

Howard County Exec Ken Ulman on Marriage

All Marylanders deserve the full complement of rights and protections offered by our great state, and that includes the right to marry, with all the benefits conferred by that important institution.


My view is simple and clear: Maryland law should not limit rights and benefits based on sexual orientation.

I have been a longtime champion of equality for all. As a council member, I was proud to help lead Howard County’s effort extending family benefits to county employees in same-sex domestic partnerships. More recently, we’ve worked to encourage the companies we do business with to establish anti-discrimination policies.

I wholeheartedly support the Religious Freedom and Civil Marriage Protection Act. I urge the General Assembly to pass the legislation this year, and I urge the governor to sign it.