Saturday, April 17, 2010

Delegate Saqib Ali's End of Session Letter

Following is Delegate Saqib Ali's (D-39) end of session letter.

Dear Friends,

The 427th legislative session of the Maryland General Assembly just concluded last midnight and I wanted to take this opportunity to provide you an update on some of the most significant issues.

This session was dominated, as in recent past years, by the many economic challenges facing our state due to the national recession. Just as in the past, my focus has been on finding ways to represent your interests and those of all Marylanders. Below please find a summary of the legislation that has dominated my agenda these past three months. I have spent a great deal of energy on easing the burden on Maryland families that may be struggling financially. I also worked on other issues to increase safety and quality of life for residents of our state. These include:

Education Funding:

I co-sponsored the bill which Waived the Maintenance of Effort Penalty on MCPS Schools for Fiscal Year 2010 (HB 223). This bill saved Montgomery County Public Schools $28 million dollars in Fiscal Year 2010 by waiving a fine unfairly imposed by the Maryland State Department of Education. This bill has passed and will become law unless the Governor vetoes it.

Consumer Protection:

My Bill: I introduced the Credit Card Blacklisting Prevention Act (HB 116). This bill prevents credit card companies from reducing credit lines or increasing interest rates based on where their cardholders shop and how much money they are spending through the use of secret “blacklists” of behavioral patterns. This Orwellian practice is outrageous and is being used across the credit card industry. This innovative bill is one-of-a-kind legislation in the entire country. I am extremely proud. The Senate version of this bill has passed and will become law unless the Governor vetoes it.

My Bill: I introduced the Tenant Credit Check Restriction Act (HB 860). This bill prohibits a landlord from rejecting a tenant applicant based on a credit check if that applicant qualifies for a 100% assistance voucher from the Montgomery County Housing Opportunity Commission. This bill passed the House 130-9 but unfortunately the Senate killed it by inaction. I plan on re-introducing it next year.

My Bill: I introduced the Residential Property Tax Disclaimer Act (HB 109). This bill requires home sellers to notify purchasers that their property taxes may be significantly higher than those paid by the current owner due to tax credits that some homeowners receive (such as the Homestead Property Tax). This bill passed the House 137-0 but unfortunately the Senate killed it by inaction. I plan on re-introducing it next year.

Youth Issues:

My Bill: I introduced the Student Member Voting Rights Act (HB 1287).This bill increases the role of the student member of the State Board of Education by giving them the new right to vote on the State Board’s budget. The Senate version of this bill has passed and will become law unless the Governor vetoes it.

Road Safety:

I co-sponsored the Drunk Driving Elimination Act (HB 743). The bill would require that first-time drunk drivers must have ignition interlock devices installed in their cars. Currently many convicted drunk drivers continue to drive drunk because there is no enforceable mechanism to stop them from doing so. Over years, this bill has been repeatedly killed by the alcohol lobby in Annapolis. The Senate version of this bill passed 44-0 but unfortunately the House Judiciary Committee killed it by inaction.

I voted for the Electronic Communications Traffic Safety Act (SB 321). This bill bans talking on a cell phone while driving an automobile. However due to actions in the Senate it was severely watered down so cell phone usage is a “secondary offense” meaning that a motorist can only get ticketed for it if pulled over for some other cause. I would like to have seen a stronger bill that made it a primary offense, but voted for it as an incremental improvement. This bill has passed and will become law unless the Governor vetoes it.
Disability Care:

I co-sponsored the Health and Community Services Act (HB 832) which would increase the state’s alcohol tax by 10 cents per drink to pay for care for our developmentally disabled community, which has sustained crippling budget cuts. The alcohol tax has not been raised in decades due to the strength of the alcohol lobby in Annapolis. Unfortunately the House Ways & Means Committee killed this bill by inaction.

Government Transparency:

My Bill: I introduced the Legislative Voting Sunshine Act (HB 107). This bill would make all votes and motions in standing committees available on the Maryland General Assembly webpage. While this bill did not pass, my very high-profile push for transparency did have the effect of forcing House and Senate leadership to place final committee votes on-line. More work remains to be done in this area, and I intend to continue it. Unfortunately the House killed this bill by inaction. I plan on re-introducing it next year.

It has been an honor to represent you in the Maryland House of Delegates these past four years. As the “interim” months begin (those between now and the next meeting of the Maryland General Assembly in January), your needs will remain at the top of mind. Please don’t hesitate to contact me if there’s any way I can be of service.
Sincerely,

Delegate Saqib Ali