Friday, August 28, 2009

Cardin Apologizes to Constituents

Delegate Jon Cardin (D-11) sent out the following email to his constituents apologizing for his use of on-duty police officers to propose marriage. For our part, we await the Baltimore Police Department's written report.

From: Jon Cardin [mailto:jon@joncardin.com]
Sent: Friday, August 28, 2009 2:29 PM
Subject: On My Marriage Proposal

August 27, 2009

Dear Constituents:

I would like to apologize for my actions surrounding my marriage proposal, any confusion that my absence on a previously scheduled vacation may have contributed, and the embarrassing attention that it has engendered. What should have been a joyous time of my life became one that was instead marked by errors in judgment.

I take full responsibility for initiating this incident. I should have been sensitive enough to realize that these are extraordinarily difficult times in Baltimore, both financially and from a public safety perspective. In that context, I realize how inappropriate my request was.

I love Baltimore, it's my hometown, and I would never intentionally jeopardize our great city's reputation or resources. I certainly hope that the blame for this is placed on me, and none of it is given to any of the brave officers of the Baltimore City Police Department.

In response to my lapse in judgment, I have personally apologized to the Mayor, the Police Commissioner, and the Marine Police Unit. I have fully reimbursed the city for its expenses. As a further gesture of my contrition, I have also made a personal contribution to the city's venerable mounted police unit to help it weather the financial crisis that is now threatening its existence.

Finally, I hope that my fiancée will be able to forgive the fact that I brought this unexpected and undesired public attention to what should have been a special moment in our lives.

I pledge to you that, with your trust in me, I will take this opportunity to learn from my errors. I will not let this mistake deflect from my continued efforts for the 11th District, and I will continue to improve and develop policies concerning smart energy, health, finance, and the environment at large.

Sincerely,

Jon S. Cardin

If you have any questions, please visit my website.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You have received this email through your subscription to this campaign's email list. If you did not subscribe, or would no longer like to receive email updates unsubscribe here.

Paid for by Elect Cardin, Cristina Lopez, Treasurer