Thursday, March 13, 2008

0-2 on Luggage

Greetings from Reykjavik. I flew directly from a vacation in Miami, Florida to Reykjavik, Iceland yesterday. (Just imagine trying to pack that suitcase!) I arrived here but my luggage never made my Delta flight from Miami to JFK where I transferred to Icelandair.

Way to go, Delta! While not quite in the special Division 1 League of luggage loss populated by United which lost my luggage for two days for a flight which was canceled, Delta still deserves kudos for providing the extra-special level of service for which the airlines are increasingly known in America.

On the other hand, non-sarcastic kudos to Icelandair. Their lost-luggage person in Keflavik Airport was not only pleasant and efficient but gave me a toiletries case to tide me over until my luggage arrives. I hope it comes soon--tomorrow will be day three for this particular pair of jeans and shirt.

Fortunately, I grabbed the ski jacket out of the suitcase just before handing the luggage over to Delta. I just wish I had the hat and gloves which are still in the suitcase. It's not so much the cold but wind which gets you in Iceland (sort of like the humidity is to the heat of Washington summers).