Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Don't Ask Me To Endorse You

Candidates are always looking for money, supporters, and voters. Money and supporters get you in front voters and voters determine the election, unless of course you live in Florida in 2000 or Ohio in 2004. In the primary I have always picked a candidate before the Iowa Caucus and I have only hit correctly twice.

Officially my track record on supporting the winning Democratic nominee for President during the primary season is so far below the Mendoza Line that just getting to the Line might take me until I am a precinct organizer in Leisure World.

See the only time I picked the winning Presidential candidate pre-primary was Bill Clinton's re-election in 1996. And the only other time I picked our nominee in advance was Walter Mondale in 1984. I am sitting on cold spell that could give "the guy downstairs" the shivers.

Why post this today? Now? See I am on the ballot in CD8 as a pledged delegate for John Edwards. He dropped out today. In fact, when I was asked to be on the ticket for him I told my friend Lynn Amano, who was coordinating Edwards for President in MoCo and across the state that maybe they should find someone else. She laughed. I filed. Edwards dropped out. It follows logically. At least in my head.

So I offer myself to the remaining candidates with the same caveat: Mario Mendoza hits better.

Fortunately, I have had some success further down the ticket. But after this post I may be kryptonite to local officials as well.